Pan Fried Sustainable Pacific True Cod, Curried Fingerling Potatoes and Cauliflower
- 4, 5-6oz portion True Cod Fillet, skin on, scaled pin boned
- Fingerling Potatoes, boiled and peeled, cut into natural rounds. (Do this while they`re still warm!)
- 1 Cauliflower cut into florets, blanched and refreshed
- 24oz Curry Sauce (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Pinch Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Fresh Green Chili, chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 level teaspoon Garam Masala
- Cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon of Grape seed oil
- 2lb Yellow Onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2oz Garlic, peeled
- 2oz Fresh Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2¾ pt water
- 1 tin (8oz) whole peeled Tomatoes, blended until smooth in a liquidizer
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons of Grape seed oil
On low heat, place a saucepan with the oil and add the tomato paste, paprika, turmeric and salt. Cook the ingredients for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. A whisk works well for this!
Next add the blended tomatoes and the blended onion, garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off any froth that may rise to the surface.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate for up to four days or freeze in small batches.
Season Cod fillets evenly with salt. In a non-stick pan add a liberal amount of oil and heat until it begins to smoke. Place the cod fillets skin side down and cook for a minute or 2. Turn down the heat and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the skin is crispy and the flesh has become bright white about 2/3`s of the fillets. Turn Cod fillets over, remove from heat and allow to continue cooking in the the residual heat from the pan.
Meanwhile, heat the curry sauce in the pan, add chili powder and fresh chili (if using), Garam Masala, ground cumin, the potatoes and cauliflower and heat through. Finish sauce with lemon juice add the cherry tomatoes and correct seasoning with salt if necessary.
Place the curried potato and Cauliflower on the center of each plate, the cod skin side up on top, decorate with Fresh cilantro leaves.